Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Once more unto the breach, dear friends...

So.

Yet another edition of D&D, and this one on the heels of the really crappy 4e.

Huh.

I don't care. I really don't.

The d20 System, version 3.x was a good system. It created an entire sub-culture of small businesses (like this one, and so many others just like it) that sprang up to take advantage of the Open Gaming License, to support a game that so many people around the world have grown up playing, and to perhaps help that beloved behemoth to live and breathe and stick around for just a little while longer.

They nearly killed that sub-culture when they released 4e.
They nearly killed the game when they released 4e.

Perhaps I'm being a bit over-dramatic. The above two statements are really how the release of 4e applied to me. I tried to like 4e. I started reading the Player's Handbook. I got about 35 pages in and realized that they had so dramatically altered the game that it wasn't D&D as I knew it. I threw the books away...and I never throw books away...ever.

Mind Games Design Bureau will continue plugging away at the projects and products we already have in the works, no matter the direction Wizards of the Coast decides to travel. I will continue to work on, playtest, and improve my iteration of the d20 system, called My20. It won't be anything weird, just a slight revamp that allows players quite a bit more freedom in the kind and type of character they wish to play. Aside from a complete revamp of the character generation system, it's still the same d20 game that so many people have grown up loving. It will be compatible with D&D 3.x, with d20 Modern, with Mutants and Masterminds, and with any and all d20 derivative games.

The d20 system was a wonderful achievement, one that WoTC should have better capitalized on. Now, there are so many people left out here in the real world who can carry the torch and continue to make d20 a viable and worthy game to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment